Announcements‎ > ‎

Strategy Meeting August 2nd 2017

posted 7 Aug 2017, 11:59 by eric strudwick   [ updated 7 Aug 2017, 12:03 ]

Notes from the WSC Strategy Meeting – 2nd August 2017 19:30

1        The Vice-Commodore welcomed around 40 members and explained the purpose of the meeting. The meeting was designed to gain feedback from members and gather ideas as to the direction of the club over of the next 5 years – both social and sailing. For e.g. club improvements – refurbishment of the clubhouse, encouraging new members with a focus on gaining younger members to the club, etc. The meeting is to focus on positive changes and the ideas proposed by this group will be put forward to the General Committee for discussion and implementation.

2        Ideas discussed within the group break-out sessions (divided into two headings – sailing and social):

Sailing

·         Club buying canoes/kayaks for club use
·         Adult (i.e. 18+) training
·         Make slipway easier for launching bigger/wider boats etc.
·         Extra pontoons for keeping the dinghies/cruisers on
·         Encouraging the cadets’ parents to get more involved
·         Alerts for cruisers’ crew
·         Make better use of the sailing club for WSC events
·         Ongoing problem of keeping the hard clean - hard working party is more of a social event so could we do this when cleaning the hard standing, for e.g. open the bar, have a BBQ, offer fish and chips, tea/coffee and cakes etc.?
·         Date in calendar for rafting up the Pyefleet
·         Talks on a Friday evening - capitalise on the wealth of experience on the water in the Club
·         WOD instruction
·         More dinghy days out (rather than races)
·         Smaller gig/tender races/rows
·         Wivgigs to offer club members to try rowing ‘Audacity’
·         Cadets to learn to row
·         Scrapheap challenge to build a raft and see if it floats
·         Showing new members who do not sail what sailing entails
·         Cleaning the hard – putting the pump together etc., not easy for all members – pay someone to do it? Pump system in place? What do other Clubs do? Use of the tractor?
·         Difficulty for novice sailors in getting off the hard because of the wind and the tide therefore more support required (safety boat etc. and not just at the end of the race)
·         More social sailing
·         Focus on making sailing more welcoming to young families and younger but 18+ sailors
·         Learning sessions for novices (Wivenhoe area is difficult for non-experience sailors)
·         Dinghies belonging to Club to be launched from a pontoon for general Club use and not from the slipway
·         Remember that everything that the Club purchases needs to be maintained and should not be purchased if it unable to do so
·         Remember we are a Wivenhoe Club and recognise our strengths and weaknesses
·         Manage change and not just let it happen
·         Make it clear what the purpose of the club is – sailing or social?
·         Boat storage
·         Cancelling the joining fee
·         Trial membership/temporary membership
·         Open Day to be held earlier in the year
·         Possibility of long-distance cruise for novice sailors (for e.g. down to Brightlingsea) but would need support and safety boats
·         Members need to volunteer to clean the hard - Chris Wood offers to buy everyone who volunteers a beer (so long as they work hard!)
·         Safety boat training sessions, especially for more difficult situations and look into possibility of those who work on the safety boat to obtain qualifications should they wish to do so
·         WSC to enforce rule that those who participate in racing must at some point during the year volunteer to help run the races etc.

Social

·         Events to encourage non-sailors to visit the club
·         Decking with fencing in the outdoor space
·         Covered outdoor space
·         Update of the heating – remove storage heaters
·         Winter hire rate for the Club for members
·         Why is a sponsor needed when the Club is hired out to non-members?
·         Increased bar staff
·         Friday night entertainment to encourage attendance
·         Why is there a joining fee for new members?
·         Membership deal for cadets’ parents
·         Improve lighting in club
·         Happy hour at the Club
·         Changing facilities need updating
·         Social evenings on a Saturday rather than Friday
·         Need for a Social Secretary to handle social events rather than falling to Commodore
·         Furniture needs to be, flexible – need to be able to store all furniture away on occasion and arms on some of the chairs are required
·         Access for disabled persons need to be addressed
·         Acoustics for the club need to be addressed
·         Non-plastic tables and chairs
·         Brighten up the décor
·         Update the heating to something that is cost effective
·         More young people using the Club – having it active and full people and either for water people only or non-water people welcome
·         Greater advertisement of the club at regatta days etc.
·         Sofas
·         Cellar to be in good order and easy to use
·         Upstairs is underused – weatherproofing the balcony for use in the winter?
·         Encouraging more volunteers across the board
·         New members’ night with information session
·         Sign in the window saying visitors welcome
·         Assign new members a person to meet with them and walk around the club and shown what’s available
·         New pictures on the walls
·         Greater use of social media to promote social sailing events
·         Need a point person to organise each event and make the events occur on a regular basis
·         Lockers in changing rooms for Club use
·         Any remit for extending the Club premises? Wet porch?
·         Problems in replacing officer roles within the Club, more information/handover system to be produced

3        Vice-Commodore to summarise the ideas that have been produced tonight and report to the GC. The GC will then report back to the members by the AGM as to the Club’s priorities and a list of what will benefit members, and if approved by the membership, the GC will action the approved items.

4        Suggestion that the GC chooses one item that can be done soon and one item that is a long-term project and aim to achieve – list of goals to be produced: short, medium and long-term goals.

5        Suggestion to convene another WSC strategy meeting for the Autumn time.

6        A member noted that there have been many positive sailing events and the Club just needs to capitalise on these events.

7        Whatsapp group in place to arrange sailing days – Chris Wood and Julie-Anne White are administrators for the group and will add members on request.

8        Reminder to all members that if they have a dinghy stored at the Club and are not using could they please take it away as space is at a premium.